Translate

Friday, December 1, 2017

Christmas Has Started

I'm one of those people who are adamant that Christmas shouldn't come out until AFTER Thanksgiving. I believe that Thanksgiving gets overshadowed in stores because Christmas advertising comes out right after Halloween.
But now that Thanksgiving has come and gone, including the leftovers that GM and I enjoyed in our apartment, I'm ready to dive headfirst into my favorite holiday, Christmas.

I have been personally trying to draw closer to Christ and to make the conscious effort of spreading happiness [insert holiday cheer] to those around me. I don't want to shove my beliefs down anyone's throats, but I do think it's important to say that I've been feeling more at peace than usual and I know it is because I've been more regular at praying and reading the Book of Mormon.

Which is good because work has been deteriorating at a rapid rate and I need some peace to cling onto in my life. Though in the words of my sister, we're just "rolling with the punches" and hopefully (if my cards were played right), I'll find a better fitting career before the holidays are over.

Now, all that above is a precursor to what I really want to write a post on, which is the #LightTheWorld the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints is doing as a count-down for Christmas which focuses on giving, not receiving.

I am ALL for advent calendars. Almost to the point of obsession. Almost. In fact, as I'm typing this, Giant Man has asked if he could buy an advent game subscription on HumbleBundle.com. We're not new to the video game site and right now they have an advent where if you donate a flat rate, you get a new game every day until Christmas. And I can update my blog and say what they are because we just bought it. Anyway, that's neither here nor there.

The #LightTheWorld event is an advent that not only helps you become more Christlike but it also gives you ideas for acts of service to help show you care. I love this idea and though it may not be always convenient or I may not be 100% consistent, I am DETERMINED to do all 25 days and see how much light I can spread in the world.
By default, GM will also be doing this with me. He is my automatic partner in crime because marriage comes with perks like that.

I also want to write about my experience here so you guys can follow along with how I'm doing (please, hold me accountable) and even if you want to do it yourselves, I extend the invitation. But don't feel like you need to, I'm still grateful for you taking the time to read my posts regardless.

I feel energized for this holiday season. I am determined to make it the best one yet, I already have finished most of my holiday gift shopping and I'm ready to start my annual Christmas baking, something GM is very excited for as well. I hope I can keep this enthusiasm and momentum as I finish up my final semester of my Bachelor's Degree!!

I think it's going to be a great month.

1 comment: