Translate

Wednesday, July 18, 2018

WFH: The Double-Edged Sword.

So, I tend to write about things that are affecting me or rants I can't seem to shake out of my head. Today is no different.

For those of you who don't know, I work in marketing. Marketing is like the stage crew of a company. We are constantly working one, two, three months ahead of the actual date and making sure advertising, press releases, awards, etc., are all organized and perfected ahead of time. We work in advance, so the day-to-day flow correctly.

If you work in marketing or strategy, especially for a company, you understand all the work and planning that goes on before an actual event takes place. It can get pretty hectic trying to keep all the dates and deadlines straight. That's why I invest in sticky notes.

Anyway, due to the very online nature of my job, I am blessed with the opportunity to work from home when needed. This has proven to be very helpful during my pregnant days, because I only have one pair of pants which really fit me now, and if I'm at home, I don't need to wear pants.

In fact, I'm sure it's hilarious to see how different I look when I'm at home compared to in the office. I think this comic sums it up.

Source: Catana Comics
The effect is complete when you think I wear GM's shirt for comfort at home, which is really a me-sized nightgown. I love how I acquired so many nightgowns when we got married. 

Comfort clothing isn't the only thing that is a perk when working from home. I also enjoy the ability to eat whatever and whenever. I mean, I can eat at the office and nobody is going to say anything (unless you try to microwave your fish in the shared lunch space, heathens). But I still feel awkward taking out my graham crackers and spreading frosting on it while my co-workers are eating salads.

At home, I'm free to eat Nutella from the jar with a spoon, as intended. However, I've never had a co-worker ask for a bite of my snacks... which the same can't be said for GM while working at home.

But I love him. So, I share. Also, he gives me food so I don't have to move. I really hit the lottery with him.

Now, working from home is not all free food and no pants. There are some downsides as well. For example, I get distracted a LOT easier while at home. At home, I usually have food, my computer, chores, a husband who also works from home occasionally, and I can fall asleep almost anywhere in the house, which is a downside when work needs to be done.

I enjoy a blended schedule. I'll stay home for a few days and work, but the other days I'll go to the office. That way, it's the perfect balance of pregnancy comfort and the success of getting work done. I also really like my co-workers who are on my team, it's a lot easier to collaborate when we're all in the office.

Basically, I feel like being a responsible worker is knowing your environment weaknesses and allowing yourself to either grow and be better, or to put yourself into the most productive work environment possible.

Working from home is nice, but it is not always ideal (at least for me). Maybe, one day, when procrastination has been destroyed from my body, I'll be able to conquer the full potential of working from home. Unfortunately, I'm not quite there yet... hence the distraction of writing a blog post. Which is why I'm going to wrap it up now.

Until next time. Byee.


No comments:

Post a Comment